Doug's Production Diary 19





Sunday, June 19, 2005

Dan and I spent most of the afternoon nailing down our storyboards for tonight's filming. This is the scene just after Brandy runs screaming from the boys' apartment and Jones comes stomping back in for an explanation. In order to keep the scene moving, Dan and I decided to have the scene "start" in the kitchen, then move to the computer room and almost back to where it began. For my part, I knew I had a lot of lines and that this was the impetus for Act II - basically the crux of their plan - so I knew I had to do well.

The scene was also quite lengthy but I wanted to get it all done so we'd be through with the blood, the axe, and the shirt.

Tony brought his kids with him and arrived first, about 7:00 p.m. We toned down our swearing and went on the balcony to smoke - don't want to set TOO bad of an example.

Once Christian and Brett arrived we rehearsed the scene a bunch of times: sitting, standing, blocking, etc. Brett and Christian were really tired from lack of sleep and playing soccer all afternoon, and they kept flubbing their lines during rehearsal. But I wasn't too worried - I knew they'd get it.

The shooting itself was great!

I have to mention it again - thumbnail storyboards are indispensable. They are such an aid. It's especially gratifying when we get a shot that looks exactly like one of them.

I was feeling very energized about this scene because I felt it was important and also because Buddy has so many lines and I knew I could nail it...and I did! Really got into acting tonight; I had a lot of fun and learned a few tricks while I was at it.

I haven't seen any of the footage yet, but Tony says it is the best yet (funny how each scene is the best...) and it came out incredible.

Not much else to say except this felt like a big step: it was a lot of pages and a lot of movement in the scene and it went off without a hitch. I also learned to be a little more assertive as director so that was also a big bonus. We're getting there!